Osteochondrosis is a disease in which, as a result of degenerative processes, the structure of the joints and intervertebral discs are disrupted, causing compression of the spinal roots.The inflammatory process causes severe pain; with long-term illness, the function of internal organs may be impaired.Metabolic disorders in the intervertebral disc are very painful, so it is very important to know everything about osteochondrosis: what it is, and also how to treat spinal osteochondrosis.
The essence of osteochondrosis
To understand the essence of the treatment of spinal diseases, you need to know what osteochondrosis is. At the heart of the disease is a violation of trophism of the vertebrae, intervertebral discs.Intervertebral osteochondrosis leads to changes in the correct structure of all tissues, parts of the spine. Loss of elasticity, shape, consistency of cartilage discs, which provokes a reduction in the distance between adjacent vertebrae. Instability leads to compression of the nerve root due to narrowing of the exit hole, back muscles become tense, and pain occurs. This is how osteochondrosis appears.
Progressive osteochondrosis has signs of complications in the form of protrusions and vertebral hernias. In the future, intervertebral osteochondrosis leads to degenerative changes in the small joint of the spine, the intervertebral ligament. As the bone grows, the elasticity of the column disappears, subluxation and curvature begin to appear. Usually, such processes are characteristic of the physiological aging of the body, but the disease also strikes young people. Therefore, the question of what to do with osteochondrosis is of concern to almost all segments of the population. To do this, you need to know the cause of the disease.
There are many factors that lead to the development of osteochondrosis. The formation of vascular bed begins in the intervertebral disc, and its feeding takes place according to the principle of diffusion. This factor prevents the regrowth of the disc under excessive stress and injury. Someone often complains of back pain. The cause of osteochondrosis is directly related to the wrong way of life of the person.
- Poor or inappropriate diet. Lacking nutrients, the intervertebral disc begins to become thinner and deformed.
- Important causes of osteochondrosis are lack of physical activity, excessive weight gain, metabolic disorders.
- Musculoskeletal system disorders, worsening posture, flat feet.
- Damage is a very common cause of osteochondrosis. Microtrauma of the spinal space due to strokes, falls, irregularities, sudden movements, too much pressure. Macrotrauma due to fractures, severe bruising.
- Infectious diseases, intoxication.
- Stress, as well as smoking, provoke vasospasm. Heredity affects the onset of the disease.
- Climate factors in the form of cold humidity and air.
The leading cause of osteochondrosis is an unbalanced distribution of load on the spine, too weak a muscle corset. People over the age of thirty have the greatest risk, especially if their job involves sitting for long periods of time. To know how to get rid of osteochondrosis, you need to understand the path of its development, the degree of damage to what the spine experiences during the disease.
Development of the disease
What causes osteochondrosis?Due to the influence of the above negative factors, the disease begins to develop, through several stages of development.This:
- In the first stage, intervertebral osteochondrosis begins due to dehydration of the nucleus pulposus of the intervertebral disc. The shape changes, becoming flatter. The distance between the vertebrae is reduced, cracks gradually appear in the cartilage.
- In the second stage, abnormal movement of the vertebral body is observed, it can move and slide. The ligament and muscle devices deteriorate due to small gaps between the discs, motor instability.
- The third stage is characterized by subluxation of the vertebrae, arthrosis, extrusion of the intervertebral disc.
- Degenerative recovery from the spine begins. The spinal cord, osteophytes form between the vertebrae. This is how the body adapts to the abnormal spinal conditions. Gradually, the amount of bone growth becomes larger, and the vertebrae barely move completely. At this stage, surgical intervention may be required to treat osteochondrosis.
The most commonly used classification is based on the affected part.
- Lumbar region. The most common variant of the disease. The back of the shoulder carries a major load, as a result of which an intervertebral hernia may appear.
- Signs of osteochondrosis of the cervical spine occur due to the development of weak neck muscles. Even a small load can cause deformity of the vertebrae.
- Signs of thoracic osteochondrosis do not occur as often as the previous two. This part is the most immobile, moreover, it has protection in the form of ribs and muscular corsets. The resulting osteochondrosis is manifested as a result of the development of scoliosis.
- The sacral spine bears the spine, chest and abdomen. This is most common in women and is characterized by problems with the lower extremities.
- The symptoms of osteochondrosis are widespread in two parts of the spinal space at once.
Symptoms of Disease
The symptoms of osteochondrosis depend on the location of the pathological process. How osteochondrosis manifests itself is an interesting question. Pain can range from mild to severe and irritating, even unbearable.Symptoms and treatment are closely related. First aid to know how and how to treat osteochondrosis of the back. The main signs of the disease correspond to its location:
- Problems with the cervical spine are characterized by dizziness, blurred vision, severe eye fatigue. There is pain in the neck, shoulders, arms, head, which is exacerbated by twisting the neck. The patient noted numbness on the skin of the face, neck and hands. Colored patches may appear before the eyes. In addition, there is often a loss of consciousness due to circulatory disorders in the cervical spine and symptoms of vertebral artery syndrome.
- Signs of osteochondrosis in the thoracic spine are distinguished by the sensation of "cola" in the chest, when a cut or cut wound radiates to the heart and lungs. Painful sensation with deep and sharp breath.
- Symptoms of lumbosacral spine osteochondrosis - pain radiating to the groin, sacrum and legs, causing disturbances in the lower extremities, pain and numbness. Varicose veins are possible. Localization of the disease in the lumbar region has signs of sexual dysfunction, sometimes leading to dysfunction of the pelvic organs. Healing the lower back restores masculine strength. For women, problems in this area have a negative impact on pregnancy and menstruation.
Intervertebral osteochondrosis is characterized by a number of common symptoms. Rapid fatigue can appear with stress, mental and physical. There is "lumbago" in other organs, muscles, symptoms of osteochondrosis of the back begin to increase. Pain during inflammation increases during sneezing or coughing, bending, turning the body, head. There is freshness at the top and bottom. Osteochondrosis of the back, which lasts a long time, practically does not cause pain, but the movement of the missing part of the spine is lost due to melting of the affected spine.
Diagnostics and treatment
After knowing the symptoms of osteochondrosis, treatment is prescribed according to the diagnosis.After examination and interrogation of the patient, the attending neurologist announces the initial diagnosis. Further, instrumental diagnostic methods are used: CT - computed tomography, MRI - magnetic resonance imaging, Doppler ultrasound, X-ray, myelography. A thorough examination helps to identify complications of vertebral osteochondrosis: hernia, sciatica, protrusion, kyphosis.
Is it possible to cure osteochondrosis?Treatment of spinal osteochondrosis is a long step-by-step process. The duration of the course depends on the age of the patient, the severity of the osteochondrosis of the spine, the treatment and the patient's compliance with all doctor's recommendations.Before you fight the disease, you should familiarize yourself with the main indications of therapy, learn how to treat osteochondrosis:
- surgical treatment;
- health center.
As already mentioned, the doctor must decide how to cure osteochondrosis of the spine. Depending on the severity of the disease, conservative treatment or surgery is used. In cases of very severe and neglected disease development, decisions are made regarding surgical intervention. Basically, complex treatment of osteochondrosis is used. Medicines and medical technologies from various industries are used together.
In the early stages, effective treatment of osteochondrosis aims to relieve pain. Patients wear special corsets to relieve pressure on the spine. Medical treatment, physiotherapy are carried out. The next step is to take steps to prevent exacerbation of vertebral osteochondrosis. The most effective methods used - physiotherapy training, massage, reflexology.
Medications are designed to relieve pain, inflammation, activate the regrowth of cartilage tissue, and improve blood circulation in the affected tissue.The main group of drugs for treatment:
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. NVP relieves pain, relieves inflammation, lowers the temperature of diseased spinal tissue. If symptoms are pronounced, injections are prescribed twice a day with medications such as metamizole sodium, diclofenac, meloxicam. After that, the transition to the type of tablet medication is done: ibuprofen, paracetamol, nimesulide. The whole treatment lasts from ten days to a month. They take funds from 1 to 4 times a day. Also used ibuprofen cream, nimesulide, diclofenac sodium, applied to the skin on the affected spine.
- Relax the muscles. Reduce excessive muscle tone by relaxing tied muscle fibersThey are used in a month. In severe cases, an injectable drug is prescribed - tolperisone hydrochloride. Next, tablets are used: tolperisone hydrochloride, baclofen, tizanidine. The regimen is started in small doses, gradually increased into therapy, and then decreased until canceled.
- Chondroprotectors. They aim to increase metabolism, regenerate cartilage tissue in the event of osteochondrosis (chondroitin sulfate). There are injection forms for intramuscular and intraarticular injections. The course of therapy can last up to four months.
There are also additional medications to help speed up the healing process:
- vitamins B1, B2, B6, E are prescribed in the form of injections over the course of ten days, increase the flow of nerve impulses, catalyze tissue regrowth, and accelerate metabolism;
- angioprotectors in the form of diosmin tablets, dipyridamole, as well as injectable forms of the drug: pentoxifylline, used to improve blood flow in the veins, improve vascular tone. Treatment lasts one to three months;
- Glucocorticosteroids reduce swelling and inflammation and increase the effects of essential drugs. There are injections for injections into muscles or joints, this is methylprednisolone. There are pills like methylprednisolone. The course of treatment is prescribed by the doctor individually for each patient;
- Biogenic stimulants are used to speed up metabolic processes, helping to heal damaged tissue. Often used in the form of injections: Aloe.
Physiotherapy methods allow to activate the healing process, prolong the remission stage, prevent the emergence of new exacerbations.The best physical therapy methods include:
- Exercise therapy is one of the best treatments for osteochondrosis, which should be used outside the exacerbation period. A well-developed muscle corset contributes to the evenness of the load on the spine. Exercising regularly improves blood circulation and repairs damage. Breathing exercises relieve muscle spasms and help relieve pain. Joint gymnastics, rehabilitation equipment, swimming relieves stress from the spine;
- massage improves nerve conduction, tightens muscles;
- reflexology. Activation of the body's defenses, strengthens immunity, relieves cramps and pain is achieved by acting on certain points of the body with the help of the best needles;
- electrophoresis causes the effect of muscle relaxation and pain relief. Blood flow in diseased tissues is normalized.
To cure spinal osteochondrosis, manual therapy, magnetotherapy, spinal traction, laser therapy, therapeutic, mud therapy, shock wave therapy, healing baths and baths are also used.All these methods significantly reduce the rate of disease progression. The duration of one course can be up to fifteen days. Three or four course repetitions are conducted each year. An integrated therapeutic approach helps get rid of osteochondrosis inflammation forever.
I must say that the question is often asked about whether osteochondrosis is treated with folk remedies. No, but with primary care, they help alleviate the condition, the method must be agreed with the treating physician. It is possible to treat the troubled back area with infusion and scrub. To do this, mix one glass of honey and one and a half cups of radish juice. Add one hundred grams of vodka. Once stirred, the product should be applied gently to the sore spine area twice a day.
Other infusions should be created. So, 500 grams of vodka is poured into a glass of purple flowers. Put in a tightly closed container for ten days. The filtered drug infusion is applied to the affected area.
Proper nutrition should contain adequate amounts of protein, fat and vitamins.It is best to remove fast-digesting carbohydrates from food. The caloric content of food must be from 1500 to 2500 kcal. With the increase of disease, nutrition must be fractional. It should be eaten this way even if the condition of the spine improves.
When dealing with osteochondrosis for the first time, the question should not arise. The first step is to go to a doctor who knows everything you need to know about osteochondrosis. Treatment is a rather difficult and lengthy process, accompanied by a person’s pain and inactivity. Is it possible to cure osteochondrosis - this question remains open due to the influence of many factors. After eliminating the acute symptoms, you need to continue to take care of your spine. The struggle against this disease must continue. A person who overcomes his bad habits acquires a healthy and strong spine in return.