Of all the diseases of the human body, back pain is, first, the most common and, second, the most painful during them (especially in neglected form).The first and the second prompt us to find out exactly what causes back pain, and what ways to get rid of, or at least reduce, the pain syndrome.
In the article below, we will analyze these issues in as much detail as possible, initially explaining the standard methods for relieving pain, regardless of the cause. Next, we will focus our attention on specific diseases along with symptomatic treatment methods, appropriate for each particular case. It will also focus on the facts and risk groups for back pain.
What to do if your back hurts
Modern medicine has evolved in several treatment methods, the use of which, most often, goes beyond the treatment of just one disease. These methods include:
- Fixation therapy equipment (belts, collars, etc. );
- exercise therapy;
- Surgical intervention.
Usually, in order to relieve pain and treat its cause effectively, a complex method of the above method is required, where the practical ratio of some methods related to others is determined by the specific pathology.
References: this disease is characterized by displacement of the vertebrae to the side and the disease exceeds the normal limits of spinal space. To compensate for the damaging bends, there is a muscle tension near the transfer location.
The latter leads to acute pain syndrome, which can be overcome by the following methods:
- Pain relievers.There are many proven free products in the pharmaceutical market that can treat pain effectively. Sprays, capsules, ointments, tablets - regardless of the form of release - all work according to standard principles (if we talk about non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs). This drug inhibits certain chemicals called prostaglandins, which are responsible for the pain process. These drugs include:
- Acetylsalicylic acid;
- The second way to relieve pain in scoliosis is an effective remedy to reduce muscle cramps - warm compresses.The mechanism of action is to relax the muscles, increase their movement and expand nearby blood vessels.
Help: Usually a towel-wrapped heating pad is placed on the sore spot for 20-30 minutes, no more than 2-3 times a day.
- In addition to heat, the opposite cold strength can be used to relieve pain.Ice, cold heating pads, etc. also effective in relieving inflammation and swelling. Use a cold compress for no more than 20 minutes per tap.
A vertebral column is a point, or rather a line, the intersection of a large number of nerve pathways that run from the spinal cord to all parts of the human body.Often destructive pathology or physical damage can cause pinching nerves, leading to severe pain attacks. In this case, it is necessary to see a doctor immediately, as there may be surgical intervention.
To prevent the first signs of a pinched nerve, you can do the following:
- Take analgesic drugs similar to the previous pharmacological list above.
- Minimize movement;
- Adhere to strict sleep rest.
Once the acute pain syndrome is revealed, other methods of therapy and prophylaxis are used - physiotherapy training, massage, traditional medicine, etc.
References: The disease is explained by the breakdown of polysaccharides and proteins in the body, which are responsible for the strength of connective tissue. As it decreases, deformation of the intervertebral disc develops.
Osteochondrosis is usually accompanied by permanent or paroxysmal pain, which is rarely acute.
Pain syndrome occurs according to the localization of the disease (lower back, thoracic spine and cervix).Depending on the type of pain, there are effective remedies to get rid of it:
- For neck pain, exercise therapy, massage and medications are commonly used;
- For pain in the lumbar region - a set of statistical and dynamic exercises, medications given through infectious pathways;
- For eye pain, medication, massage and physiotherapy are also used;
- For pain in the heart and in the chest - therapeutic restrictions, anti-inflammatory and analgesic drugs, bed rest;
Important: the same physiotherapy training methods are different for each type of osteochondrosis, which means consulting a specialist before performing specific exercises. The same is true for medicines, massages, physiotherapy and other methods of therapy and prophylaxis.
When the disease appears, the corresponding symptom is acute pain syndrome, the removal of which is often important for the patient.The dystrophic process that takes place in the body causes strong vertebral disc displacement and the formation of intervertebral hernias, which in turn, are accompanied by unbearable pain attacks.The latter in some cases themselves can lead to the most unpleasant consequences to painful shocks.
Effective treatments for herniated disc pain include the following:
- Drug use;
- exercise therapy;
Therefore, medical methods include taking non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, medications to relieve muscle tension (muscle relaxation), chondroprotectors, and corticosteroid analgesics.
The form of discharge can vary greatly - from intravenous injections to ointments and patches.
Physiotherapy is usually limited to the following set of procedures:
- Shock wave therapy;
- Bee Venom;
Exercise therapy, in turn, consists of regular exercises performed by the attending physician, depending on the specifics of each patient. This can be swimming in the pool, cycling, walking, etc.
References: this disease is often considered an early form of the disease. Therefore, protrusion is called pathology of the intervertebral disc, when its contents protrude outside the spinal space at a distance of 5 mm.
The pain syndrome in this case is less intense than with a hernia. Even so, it reaches the threshold when it is necessary to remove it.
A method similar to the previous list is used to successfully cope with the pain of disc protrusion.
This word indicates pathological inflammation and compression of the sciatic nerve. Such neuralgia causes acute pain syndrome, which can be treated in the following ways:
- Use of narcotic analgesics: morphine hydrochloride, flupirtine maleate, tramadol hydrochloride, etc. );
- Ointments (diclofenac, nimesulide, diclofenac sodium, ketoprofen);
- Physiotherapy (Electrophoresis, shock wave therapy, electric eruption, etc. );
- Physiotherapy training;
- Breathing exercises;
- Cool compress.
In sciatica, pain syndrome is most often localized in the lumbar and lower extremities, which is a major factor in choosing a particular method.
This is an inflammatory condition that causes pain, swelling, and cramps in the joints. To relieve the pain of arthritis, you can use the following:
- Exercise therapy (stretching, kneading, cycling, walking);
- Hot paraffin bath;
- Bath or hot tub;
- Using a cane while walking;
- Weight loss;
- Physiotherapy methods;
- Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.
In the event of this disease, the joint leaves the joint capsule, resulting in inflammation.With timely treatment in a relatively short time (at least five therapeutic and prophylactic procedures), it is possible to relieve pain and prevent the pathological transition to the chronic form.
Sooner or later, oncological diseases begin to be accompanied by pain attacks, which can be singular and permanent.
The fight against cancer often has three stages.
- Mild pain - non-opioid analgesics (meloxicam, ibuprofen, diclofenac sodium, etc. )
- When strengthened, mild opioid (tramadol hydrochloride).
- Severe pain - additional therapy and narcotic analgesia (morphine hydrochloride hydrochloride, ).
Important: the use of each of the above groups has a relationship with a particular stage of disease development and, therefore, depends on the effectiveness of the main treatment.
Osteoporosis is characterized by a systemic disease of chronic human bone tissue, in which the microarkitonic, density, and metabolic processes are disrupted.
As a rule, pain syndrome in osteoporosis occurs only with significant load on the supporting motor system (lifting weights, prolonged stay in an uncomfortable position or lying down, etc. ). Localization of pain that commonly occurs in the lower back joints, ankles and hips.
- Diclofenac (both in the form of ointments and in the form of injections);
Exercise therapy, physiotherapy (shock wave therapy, electric eruption, etc. ) and wearing a correction device (corset) are also used
Diseases of internal organs that radiate to the back
Such pain can occur for a variety of reasons, starting with a cough and ending with a venereal disease. Often, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, which have been mentioned more than once, are used to relieve this type of pain.
This concludes the listing of medications to relieve pain, which is a symptom of certain back disorders. But, unfortunately, illness is not the only cause of pain. The latter may be due to things like stretching in the back, muscle tension, muscle damage, improper mattress, lifting weights. Let’s examine each of these cases separately.
Help: as a lipoma is called, a benign tumor that appears as a result of the proliferation of adipose tissue cells. Lipomas can appear anywhere on the human body, including the back.
Tumors are often painless and have no side effects. However, sometimes it becomes inflamed, accompanied by acute pain syndrome, which can be eliminated by removing the wen itself:
- Medication (used when the lipoma is not more than one centimeter). Special drugs are injected with a thin needle that dissolves adipose tissue.
- Surgical treatment (complete removal of neoplasms).
To lift weights
It often happens that after doing strenuous physical exercise on the musculoskeletal system, especially on the spine, a person begins to experience pain. The latter have different intensities and localizations depending on the location and type of lesion.
In this case, you need to see a doctor to find out the real cause of the pain. To reduce the latter, ointments, tablets and patches containing non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (e. g. , meloxicam, ibuprofen, diclofenac) are quite appropriate.
An alternative principle for splitting pain syndrome is the localization of its appearance, one of which may be the lower back. Relieving pain in this case depends on the specific cause of its occurrence.
Severe back pain during active physical activity can also be a symptom of stretching the back muscles or stretching the lower back. In this case, the following happens to combat the pain syndrome:
- Complete rest;
- exercise therapy;
To prevent repetitive stretching, it is recommended to use special support corsets, bandages and belts.
This reason is somewhat similar to the previous one. It only differs in the intensity of the pain experienced. Therefore, the way to remove it in the event of damage to the back ligament is similar to the previous list.
Get Rid of Quick Pain
To relieve acute pain quickly, preference should be given to medications given through injections (ibuprofen, diclofenac, etc. injections), compresses and bed rest.
Pain from a mattress that is not installed properly.
Important: for the most part, experts recommend not sleeping on surfaces that are too soft or too hard. This mattress does not maintain proper spinal position throughout sleep and can injure the back.
In case of back pain, the first logical step is to see a neurologist. The second is to keep an eye on your mattress.
The standard features to consider when evaluating the quality of a mattress are as follows:
- Type of construction (without spring, without spring);
Choosing a value mattress not only depends on its convenience, but also on the advice of a personal doctor who knows well about the specialty of your back.
Therefore, the reason why back pain may occur is not limited to one or two diseases, but has wider conditioning.
However, in back pain problems, certain risk groups and their occurrence factors can be distinguished.
- Age (on average, for men it is from 55 years, for women - from 60);
- Gender of the patient (according to statistics, men suffer more from back pain).
- Continuous weight gain;
- Strength procedure;
- Continuous reversal from the back and / or inclination;
- Lack of physical labor culture;
- Ignoring health;
- Introducing a destructive lifestyle.
In the article above, we try to cover up the phenomenon of back pain as much as possible, the reasons why it occurs and the ways in which it can be effectively addressed. We hope you find the information useful. However, the main thing in all this still pay attention to the health and well-being of your loved ones.